Sunday, September 28, 2014

Tamagoyaki (Rolled omelet)


Mix together:

3 eggs
½ t sugar
¼ t salt
½ t water or sake

Pour just enough to cover the bottom of the pan into a hot, oiled, heavy-bottomed frying pan. If you have a rectangular tamagoyaki pan, all the better. 


This cooked a little too much as I went to
grab my camera. I hope you get the idea.
When it is set on the bottom and still wet on the top, roll the egg from one side of the pan and then slide the egg back towards that side. Add another thin layer of egg to the pan and continue to roll the egg carefully. Continue adding more egg and rolling, one thin layer at a time, until all the egg is used. Gently turn and press it with your spatula to set it firmly into a rectangular shape.




Here are a couple other ways I make tamagoyaki:

3 eggs
½ t water
1 slice of chopped ham

Cook the ham a little in the pan, then add the egg whipped together with water, and cook as above.

3 eggs
¼ t water
¼ t sesame oil
¼ t salt
½ t sugar

Mix together and cook as above.

I've put edamame in tamagoyaki, too. Sometimes I use a mix of sesame oil and grapeseed oil in the pan for cooking.  

I bet you can come up with other good ideas. Of course, this is a standard ingredient in obentos. 

Click this link to see Tamagoyaki pans at Amazon. 

1 comment:

  1. I always wrap mine in a sushi rolling mat as soon as it is cooked. That way no matter what terrible shape it is when it comes out of the pan it is always a perfect rectangle/oval when it makes its way to the bento box!

    ReplyDelete